What To Do With

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Kids Chicken Soup









CHICKEN SOUP

I usually make my chicken soup for scratch. Any time Patrick and I eat a roast chicken for dinner I take the leftovers to make my stock. It may sound overwhelming, but it really is a very simple recipe.

If I don’t have a leftover chicken handy, and I want a quick healthy chicken soup dinner, I use Organic Chicken Broth as the base for the soup.

For the Leftover Chicken Soup Broth

  1. Take off the skin and anything you might have stuffed the chicken with.
  2. Put it in a large stock pot.
  3. I add just enough water to submerge the bird. About 8 cups.
  4. 1 fresh bay leaf ( or dry)
  5. 1 onion peeled and cut in half.
  6. 1 large carrot or 2 small carrots peeled.
  7. 1 celery stalk
  8. 4 garlic cloves thrown in
  9. 1 leek properly washed
  10. Parsley- a bunch
  11. Thyme-a little less.
  12. 1 tablespoon salt.

Bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat for about 4 hours. Or until you try your broth and it’s delicious. If it doesn’t have enough flavour, season and simmer for another hour or so.

Once the soup is cooked let it cool.

Put a large bowl in the sink with a sieve on top. Strain the chicken stock into the large bowl separating liquid from solids.

Scoop out cooked carrots and dice finely. Set apart.

Take any chicken peices that might have been left behind and set apart.

Replace liquid from stock back into stock pot.

Add egg noodles or dry noodles of your choice.

Cook as you would pasta.

Add carrots and chicken.

Serve with bread, parmesan cheese lemon wedges.

It’s the perfect kids meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment