What To Do With

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Last Night's Dinner. My take on Chicken Cacciatore





I made a big batch of roasted peppers for various uses when I made Paolo's roasted peppers. I took about 1 cup of the thinly sliced peppers and I was instantly inspired to make a fall like chicken dish!

I am not saying summer is over. I know September brings beautiful warm weather and a few more heat waves, at least one, we hope! But when the days start getting shorter and the cool air wakes us out of bed just a little earlier every day, my mind starts to shift to stews and casseroles.

I still have many summer posts to add. Including summer pasta! So don't despair.

Last nights dinner was so delicious I felt I had to share.

Chicken with Roasted Peppers & Linguini




1 carrot sliced diagonally in same sized pieces.
1 onion finely chopped.
I celery stock cut on the diagonal in same sized pieces
4 garlic cloves smashed
1/2 Tablespoon Herbes de Provence
1/2-1 teaspoon chili flakes ( depends how hot you like it)
1 fresh bay leaf or 2 dry ones
1 teaspoon dry rosemary
1/2 cup Shiraz Red wine
1/2 cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
handful of fresh parsley
handful fresh thyme
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

4 organic chicken breasts skin on

Linguini Pasta for 4.

Season chicken with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat.
Add onion and saute for about 10 minutes.
Add chicken pieces skin side down and brown for another 8 minutes or so.
Sprinkle Herbes de Provence over chicken.
Add cut carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
Add 1 teaspoon chili flakes, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, bay leaf, and 1/2 cup red wine.
Reduce for about 10 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth and reduce about one half hour or until chicken is tender.

Cook your favorite pasta, rice or mashed potato and serve together
or
Eat alone with a piece of bread or a leafy salad.

Simply delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment